Friday, October 1, 2010

Do Hard Things?

Right now, I'm reading the book Do Hard Things.  It's written by two teens with a different, extremely brilliant outlook on life, Alex and Brett Harris.  The description of the book is, "A teenage rebellion against low expectations", and it is that.  But it's also more.  To me, it's saying, "Get out there and show people what you're made of!  You can do so much better than you're doing right now... so do it!"  My favorite quote from their book so far is,
"When expectations are high, we tend to rise to meet them.  When expectations are low, we tend to drop to meet them.  And yet this is the exact opposite of what we're told in 1 Corinthians 14:20: 'Brothers, stop thinking like children.  In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults'.  Our culture says, 'Be mature in evil, but in your thinking and behavior be childish.'"
See?  It's really a great book!  So, with the little voice in my head telling me to do more, I told my mom that me and my sister could run the Hallelujah Carnival at church this year.  In case someone I don't know is reading this (which I highly doubt), the Hallelujah Carnival is a trick-or-treat alternative that my church puts on.  Normally my mom and dad would do it, but we've been so busy that my mom was really stressing out about it.  So I volunteered myself.  It seems easy now... but I got to thinking about it, and, oh man.  I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew!!  Oh well.  This is the perfect time to to rise to the occasion!  Besides, how hard can it be?
Famous last words...