Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Weather Outside Is Frightful...

The weather's just great outside, isn't it?  HA!  It's a blizzard!  The wind is blowing so hard I can't even see the school right down the block, and I can barely see the park across the street.  There's some places where you can see the ground through the snow, but some places the snow is a foot deep, so you can't even tell how much we've gotten.  Everything's canceled, and it's really, really cold outside.  And just three days ago it got up to 72°!!  That's crazy!!  But I guess it's Kansas for ya.
We took advantage of the warm days and went to the zoo on Friday.  I think everyone else in the city of Wichita had the same idea, though.  Everywhere we turned there was some screaming little kid.  Once, Laurel was using my camera to take pictures of the tigers.  One very bold (or very rude) little girl actually tried to grab the camera out of Laurel's hands to look at the picture she took.  I carried the camera from then on.  Aside from the little kids, it was pretty fun.  
My mom and I were walking through the rain forest exhibit, and she was telling me how she could be a missionary.  "I could definitely deal with this," she said.  "Can't you see us being missionaries in a jungle like this?"  I was just about to tell her, "No way!" when a tiny bird ran past our feet.  My mom, not knowing what it was, screamed bloody murder, which made me scream too!  Everyone around us started laughing, and one guy walked past us and said, "That was funny."  And it was!  My mom will NEVER live that one down. :)
Something Bekah will never live down is her irrational fear of the fish tunnel.  You know that glass tunnel in the rain forest exhibit you walk through that has fish on every side of you?  Well... Bekah's afraid of the fish.  She thinks the glass is going to break on top of her, and a fish is going to eat her head.  And those are her exact words.


It's so funny!  Look at her hiding her face with her hands!  Ah... sorry Bekah.  I just had to write it.  Don't kill me, please. ;)

Here's some pictures of our zoo trip.

That poor little goat got his head stuck in the fence.  Bekah says he's being shunned.

But whenever you fed him, he slobbered all over your hands.  Yuck!  (You can't see it, but Bekah's hands are covered in goat slobber.)



Faith and Laurel are oblivious to the creepy guy in the background.

The sheep knew where the food came from, so every time someone bought food, they'd all crowd around the machine and lick the food out before the people could get it.

You can see my reflection in Bekah's glasses.

Even my dad's doing it!  But, of course, I was the one who spoiled the picture and didn't do it.  But it's not so bad, because I did it later... kinda...

Tiger training!  See?  Everyone in the city is there!

Then afterward, we went to Orange Leaf for the first time.  It was really good, but a little expensive.


And, oh yeah, NO BRACES!!!!