Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Been Too Long

It's been too long.  Much too long.  I haven't posted for at least a month, probably two.  I'm just so darn busy!  Summer is the time when you're supposed to relax and have fun, you know?  But every year, summer is busier than the whole school year put together.  Figures.

Things that have happened since I last posted:
  1. My friends and I had a bake sale to benefit Joplin.  We only made about $200, but it was pretty good for the amount of time we spent out there--only an hour and a half!
  2. I got an amazing new lens.  It's awesome!  I love it.  One guy at church was drooling over it the other day.
  3. The Home School Convention!  If you're home schooled and you live around these parts and you've never been to a TPA (Teaching Parents Association) convention, you're lame.  Anyone who's anyone is there.  Even though it's the home school event of the year, it's really super boring.  You just walk around a convention hall, looking at different booths all day long.
Wow.  Three things.  I know there's more, I just can't remember right now.

Things that are happening this summer:
  1. VBS!!  Actually, it's happening right now.  But it's so much fun, I love doing it and working with the kids!  They're so funny, and I have new stories to tell about them every day. :)
  2. Mission trip in Oklahoma.  It's going to be amazing.  We're working with two old ladies, serving them in any way we can.  We just had a fundraiser for it and raised $1200.
  3. My cousin's wedding.  The cousins on my mom's side of the family are super close, so it's fun to go hang out with them.
  4. Camp.  I'm sponsoring my little sister's camp.  Seriously, sponsoring is way more fun than actually attending the camp.  Who knew?
  5. My birthday!!!  June 29. :)
Lately I've been thinking a lot about how selfish people are.  We never watch any TV, just Netflix (by the way, if you have Netflix, watch The Twilight Zone.  It's my new favorite show).  But when we watched the Survivor season finale, the commercials just drove me crazy!  Just stuff, stuff, stuff.  And people think that stuff will actually make them happy--complete their life.  That's just crazy to me.  And that got me to thinking about selfishness.  Those commercials just scream, "Me, me, me!" don't they?  And everywhere I looked, people were selfish.  It seemed like the world was spiraling out of control, but then, yesterday, somebody anonymously sent us a family pool pass for the pool across the street from our house.  We have no idea who it was, but it was such a sweet thing to do.  It reminded me that the world is selfish, but God isn't and there are people who aren't.  And as long as we're with God we won't be, because we'll be loving others as ourselves.   It really got me.  It was so sweet. :)

Hope everyone has an amazing summer!  This will probably be my last post for a while--summer, ugh.

God bless,